A girl should be two things: Who and What she wants







We here at the thehepburnmovement strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance we get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup regardless of your age, sexual orientation or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and we aim to show that with every post. We want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. This weeks pinup is .....



Ashley

Ashely, is someone I (Paola) consider to be a very ,dear friend. We bonded over our mutual love of Trashy Diva, all things vintage/pinup & of course Disney. She's got a heart of gold and inspires me everyday with her devotion to women's rights, her kind but out spoken personality and her unwavering ability to stay true to herself. She works hard everyday to garner representation and let her voice be heard, she refuses to let the world tell her what she can and cannot be. She truly shows that being a pinup isn't a one size fits all statement. In fact its about empowerment, confidence and above all, this is the most important part staying true to yourself. After all "Any one can be a pinup" , its as simple as that. We are very excited to share her story with you today,we hope it leaves you feeling as inspired as we did after reading it.








When did you get into the pinup life style ?

I've always been enamored with the golden age of Hollywood since I was really young. My mother and uncle would show me films from all over the world. They would hold Oscar parties every Spring. I especially remember being awestruck at all the clothing Audrey Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I knew I loved the style, but it took me time to grow into my own. When I was in high school we did the musical Hairspray. I enjoyed dressing up in cardigans, Keds, and circle skirts for the show. I even joined the costume department and helped everyone choose their outfits. I think that show really resonated with me. I slowly started going to thrift stores then graduated to the big flea markets. I started mixing modern and vintage together, but I still wasn't fully dressing the way I do now. Finally, two years ago I went to my first Dapper Day at Disneyland. Seeing all the marvelous outfits and meeting pinups who wear the style regularly, I was immediately inspired. From then on I started joining some of the wonderful pinup groups online and filling my closet with vintage/ reproduction clothing. It's been a delightful journey so far and I am grateful to those who have supported me along the way.



Who is your biggest style inspiration ?
I draw inspiration from many individuals, from people I know to Hollywood starlets. My abuela was born in the 1940's and got to grow up during the 50's. There is one photo in particular of her that embodies everything I love about her and that style. She is wearing gloves and a darling dress. I am so glad she shared those memories and photos of when she was young with me. When I started wear vintage sweaters she gave me some of her own cardigans out of her closet. She constantly showed support in my changing style. Film also plays a huge part in my life. Rita Hayworth and earlier mentioned Audrey Hepburn are two of my favorite style icons. Rita literally was the embodiment of a pin up girl during World War II. One of my favorite looks she wore is the black gown from The Lady from Shanghai. Honorable mentions go to Frida Kahlo's impeccable use of color and Edith Head's ingenious designs.




How does it feel to be a WOC in the pinup community?

Being of Mexican, Vietnamese, and Caucasian descent I felt I couldn't fit in anywhere. I never fully accepted by one culture being mixed, but I never let it phase me. I try to embrace all my roots and am proud of how far my family has come in America. That being said, when I first joined the community I had no idea what to expect. What I found were welcoming women who were daring and unique. I never felt more at home and have met so many sensational women because of it. I also am aware of the lack of representation here and there in the community. However, there is a lack of representation in all aspects of our society from the foundations of Western beauty to film and beyond. It was a different time then and I feel it is our duty to add to the narrative. The way we dress is an extension of ourselves, at times it becomes a conversation starter. I never hesitate to educate people on the freedom of expression and this fabulous community. I am only one person and cannot change the way things are on my own. What I can do is continue being myself and maybe that has made all difference.



We hope you enjoyed this weeks edition of "Any one can be a pinup", we are always thankful to showcase our friend's stories here on the blog. Especially if these stories can strike a chord with you and inspire you to love yourself no matter what. We apologize for the brief hiatus we had to take on this series but we promise it is back and here to stay. We couldn't think of anyone more perfect to start it back up again with, and we can't wait to show you what this month has in store.

If you have any comments,questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see us feature next, feel free to comment below and we'll do  our  best to reply in a timely manner.

As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 

Paola & Kirsten xx 

Aka "thehepburnmovement"

No comments