Pansies bloomed all night





We here at the thehepburnmovement strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance we get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup regardless of your age, sexual orientation or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and we aim to show that with every post. We want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. This weeks pinup is... 



Pansy
We originally became friends with Pansy thanks to the online pinup community, one facebook group in particular. She has always been a breath of fresh air and we loved seeing her outfit of the day posts! After a while we started following each other on instagram, became friends on facebook, and knew that she needed to be a part of this amazing section of our blog. We weren't sure if she would want to be, but once we asked her to guest blog she was ECSTATIC! After reading more about her we know that this is just the start to a great friendship! 














When did you get into the pinup life style?

Honestly I fell in love with pin up pretty young. It was probably 11 or 12; I know I was in middle school. At first it was more just watching in admiration though. I remember one day, probably at like 15 or 16, I was sitting at my computer and I saw an image and was thinking, "I wish I could look like that," and I sort of suddenly had the revelation: Why can't I? It took a lot of badly pinned bumper bangs and nervousness to get here though. 

Surprisingly, when I started using a wheelchair that was when style came to the forefront of my life. I like to say that's when I became hot. I had all this time I never had before and since I didn't have a self propelling chair back then, I couldn't really leave the house. That gave me a load of time to practice and experiment which is when my style really came together and became a passion.



 Who are your biggest style inspirations?

As for style inspirations of course the classics, Dita, Marilyn, and Audrey. I also absolutely love Rihanna's versions of old hollywood, and edgy glamour. Marsha P Johnson is also, I believe, highly underrated as a style icon, embodying a sort of queered up glamour I don't think anyone could replicate but I certainly look to for inspiration. Janelle Monae is less in the pin up sector but I also love her chic androgyny.

I also find inspiration outside of people and the fashion world, particularly in things I like. Mermaids, nature, light, and art are big inspirations.





How does it feel being a minority in the pinup community?

Being a minority in the pin up community has always been an interesting dynamic for me. I believe, pin up, in and of itself is a form of reclamation of the body. Despite being sexualized historically, I've found pin up is surprisingly unappealing to the modern straight man. Not to say they're aren't wonderful male pin ups of course, and men who simply like to gaze, but I've heard too many stories of men being discouraging, even abusive, to the pin up women in their life to believe there can be anything male centric about it. 

Something about pin up being someone, usually a woman, or nonbinary person, catering to themselves, demanding to be admired rather than gawked at, is the reason I think I could argue being a pin up is a direct rebellion against marginalization. 

Being disabled as a pin up, is especially a powerful dynamic to me, because disabled people are taught constantly to be invisible, to be lower maintenance, and what's more visible and high maintenance than wet sets and glitter lips! 

As for gender identity, pin up allows me to play with my non-binary gender. I'm able to keep the high glamour of drag, to play up and down features on my comfort, and to discover the ways in which femininity can lie outside of female. Needless to say, pin up has changed my life for the better.






We hope you enjoyed this weeks edition of "Any one can be a pinup", we loved sharing Pansy's story with you. They're a remarkably inspiring example that truly anyone can be a pinup. Breaking down stereotypes, labels and boundaries one badass outfit at a time. We feel so honored to share their story with you for this months special version of our series in honor of pride month. We can't wait to show you what else we have in store!


If you have any comments,questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see us feature next, feel free to comment below and we'll do  our  best to reply in a timely manner.

As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 

Paola & Kirsten xx 

Aka "thehepburnmovement"



No comments