The only thing worse than being talked about,is not being talked about

Here at the thehepburnmovement, I strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance I get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup/vintage lover regardless of your age, sexual orientation, or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and I aim to show that with every post. I want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. This week's vintage lover  is...







JUDE
I met Jude thanks to the lovely vintage community on Instagram. Jude is a fellow vintage loving enthusiast with a penchant for sparking global and political change. Jude uses Instagram as a platform for reform, education, and connection. Jude shows that no age is too young or too old to make a difference. It is with great honor that I am able to share Jude's story with all of you today.









When did I get into the vintage lifestyle?

This is a surprisingly difficult question for me to answer, it wasn't an overnight thing, but a gradual development over many years.
I grew up in Pickering, which has/had a large war weekend event ( now starting to decline). I was interested in general history 
from an early age, Tudors and so on. When is was 14 or so I decided the best look was shirt, tie and skinny jeans. Eventually 
I've wound up where I am now, an even split of late 2010s fashion and vintage. Being 17, like any teenager, I'm now glad when
I have an outfit I can show a bit of skin in.



Who is my biggest style inspiration?

Well, it all depends on the decade. I normally strive for accuracy without arrogance, I find those who are too pernickety a buzz kill.
Say, for example, for the 70s I'd look at contemporary film and TV shows, Sarah Jane in Dr Who for example.
Recently I have been combing my Grandparents' collection of sepia photographs to take inspiration from my own ancestors.
I have also been given some heirlooms recently including blouses and handbags that were my Great Grandmother's. 
However, I'm debating about throwing myself into 60's fashion and culture, rather than being a cultural Marmalade evenly spread
to each corner. There's something unique to the 60s that's fun, carefree and all about teenagers. With the social and economic issues
only getting worse, I see no reason why we shouldn't just live while we can. Don't forget buying vintage is a welcome substitute for
buying fast fashion!



How does it feel to be a minority in the vintage community? 

Would you believe I've never felt in a minority? After all, we're all human, what makes us that different at the end of day? 
We eat, sleep, laugh, love, to mean the only minority is those who take themselves too seriously.
However, I have already felt the hit of society placing me in a minority. The stares in the street, whispers and snide remarks. If anything
this was the instigator for me to throw myself into what I wear and who I am. If people were going to stare at me looking society's "normal"
in jeans and hoodie. Well, I'd better give them something worth staring at! 





I hope you enjoyed this week's edition of "Anyone can be a pinup". This month's version of the series is very special as it is highlighting members of the LGBTQ+ community in honor of pride month. Jude is such a charismatic, kind and inspiring person. I am so happy that I was able to share their story with you today.


If you have any comments, questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see me feature next, feel free to comment below and I'll do my best to reply in a timely manner.


As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 




Paola xx aka "thehepburnmovement"

No comments