It's the seven year itch!






 Is this post about yet another small town girl dreaming of seeing her name in shining lights? You bet your bottom it is! Out of all the requests I got for my series of recreating infamous celebrity looks this is the one I was the most unsure of. Truth be told other than her impeccable fashion, coiffed curls and struggle with mental illness I never thought I could be like Marilyn in any way. She is such a huge symbol in media all over the world, I was scared I couldn't do her justice. She's a household, world-renowned name after all this time, how do you live up to a gal like that? I was a bit nervous doing this post for sure. However, as a young girl, I grew up with Marilyn as an inspiration to dress this way so I had to do my best to pay her homage. I put my own spin on her most unforgettable outfit and hope you'll love it as much as I did. Nothing beats dressing like a movie star, you almost feel like one too. So keep scrolling to see how to "Get the Look" with my own twist of course.


The inspiration

Marilyn Monroe's infamous "subway dress" as it has been lovingly nicknamed has been regarded as the most infamous outfit in film history. Chances are if you've heard of Marilyn Monroe you've heard of this dress. It's so iconic it's been reproduced by numerous companies, the imagery of it exists all over the world from makeup brands to a giant statue in China. While the dress itself isn't in the movie for more than a few minutes, its long-lasting effects are still felt today. This is actually my favorite outfit of hers in the movie, I love the halter neckline paired with a gorgeous full skirt. It's simple, yet elegant and timeless. 


The look!
Marilyn's dress was more of an ivory color but I opted for recreating it in white as I like that color on my skin tone better. This dress is definitely a well-loved 80's does 50's piece and while it doesn't have the same amazing craftsmanship, I think it still got the point across. Add a bit of sparkle, some fun accessories and my 7-year itch outfit are complete. How do you think I did?















Get the look

Outfit details:
Reproduction seven-year itch dress-vintage(gifted)/black chunky heels-thrifted


Accessories: 1950's white floral head piece-vintage/ 1950's pearl clip on earrings-vintage/1950's white gloves-vintage


Makeup:  Brows, Lashes & Liner: Black cake Mascara - Besame Cosmetics/ Eyes: Keep wishing Palette- Besame Cosmetics/ Cheeks: Rose delicate rogue-Besame Cosmetics/ Lips: Red hot red -Besame cosmetics
I hope you enjoyed this Marilyn inspired post in my new series "Get the look". I love being able to combine old and new pieces together to create a look that's all my own. Paying homage to some of my favorite stars in this series is a way to ensure their legacy never dies while paving way for my own. Dressing up is a huge form of self-expression for me, so I am always looking for fun new ways to channel that.


Thank you Erick Paul Photography for taking these amazing photos. 

If you have any comments, questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see me dress up as next, feel free to comment below and I'll do my best to reply in a timely manner.


As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 




Paola xx aka "thehepburnmovement"

No comments