There are always flowers for those who want to see them


We here at the thehepburnmovement strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance we get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup regardless of your age, sexual orientation or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and we aim to show that with every post. We want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. Lorena is a fiery and spirited Chicana who refuses to let society silence WOC and minorities everywhere. She uses her small business ruby rae clothing, to bring representation home and works to fight for our rights every chance she gets. Our blog is what brought Lorena into our lives and we can't wait to share more of her story with you!




LORENA
(retrorubyrae )

We met Lorena thanks to our blog, she actually made our favorite summer tops ever for us and was one of  our first big collaborations. We were honored to be able to work with her and ended up building an amazing friendship thanks to the opportunity. Lorena is a hard working, kind hearted, down to earth, sassy small business owner who strives to show case the diversity of the community through her work. She offers opportunities for women of all shapes, sizes and ethnicities to truly shine through her company and is a huge advocate for women's rights. She is the true embodiment of "Any one can be a pinup" and it's our pleasure to share another side of her with all of you.








When did you get into the pinup life style? 
I have always been interested in vintage things/the pin up life style ever since I can remember. It all started because of my grandparents. They would tell me all of these amazing stories about how they would go out swing dancing and would show me the songs and pictures of their lives growing up. My other grandpa also had two vintage cars, one 1967 Buick LeSabre and one 1954 GMC Truck, which we would ride around in a lot and listen to music. 

I later started to watch old Hollywood movies and my love for the vintage lifestyle grew. I admired the fashion, the glitz, and the glam of it all. Seeing women like Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, and Jane Rusell captured my imagination and inspired me to one day be just like them. Although I was so into it, it honestly took me a while to actually start dressing vintage because I never had the courage to do so in middle school or high school because I always wanted to fit in. Now that I'm in college though and have started my own clothing brand, I have gained so much confidence. Instead of feeling embarrassed or scared of the stares I get when going out, I have learned to ignore it and focus on how confident and beautiful I feel wearing what I want. 



Who is your biggest style inspiration? One of my biggest style inspirations is definitely Dita Von Teese. I admire how she is able to bring glamour into her everyday wardrobe and I am constantly inspired by her.
In addition, every person I follow on Instagram who is involved in the pin up community is a style inspiration to me. I love how everyone works vintage glamour into their modern day lives and does it flawlessly. 



How does it feel to be a minority in the pinup community?
As a Chicana, coming into this community years ago was a bit hard. I used Instagram as a way to get involved, and quickly realized how the community was primarily White. Even to this day I notice the lack of diversity of color, shapes, and sizes there is, although it has gotten better since then. Because of this, I decided to start my own clothing brand (Ruby Rae Clothing) where I primarily showcase Women of Color as my models, as well as a variety in shapes and sizes. My goal is to be able to promote that ANYONE truly can be a Pin Up and that's why I admire you, Paola and Kirsten, for starting this amazing thread of stories on your blog. Meeting diverse women in the community is always refreshing and keeps me inspired every day because together we have created a community that is so welcoming and genuine and it makes me proud to be a part of it. 






We hope you enjoyed this weeks edition of "Any one can be a  pinup", Lorena is breaking down stereotypes, barriers and boundaries for WOC everywhere. Her incredible personality coupled with her wonderful small business practices make her  a force to be reckoned. We feel so lucky to be able to share her journey with all of you. Representation is so important so NECESSARY we hope through this series that you our dear readers can see just how vital it truly is. 







If you have any comments,questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see us feature next, feel free to comment below and we'll do  our  best to reply in a timely manner.

As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 

Paola & Kirsten xx 

Aka "thehepburnmovement"





No comments