I don't want realism, I want magic!



We here at the thehepburnmovement strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance we get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup regardless of your age, sexual orientation or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and we aim to show that with every post. We want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. This weeks pinup is...

Photo by: Jesse Anderson

Nadia
feminist_fatale


I (Paola) first stumbled upon Nadia's Instagram page over a year ago, I fell in love with her doll like vintage look. I love how she encompassed all my favorite things about the era so effortlessly, how even in a pair of jeans she looked glamorous. She inspired me to dress this way despite my limited budget and I looked to her page everyday for outfit inspiration and motivation. I admired her from afar for ages, pining over her looks and falling more in love with every post. We became friends after I over came my shyness and commented on one of her posts, now we talk almost daily and I consider her one of the sweetest dearest friends I have. Not only is Nadia an absolute sweetheart but she is also a HUGE advocate for women's rights, she fights for POC voices to be heard not silenced and marches for the LGBTQ+ community. She wants all minorities to be seen and heard, while her love of the 50's influences her styling it certainly does not influence her ideals. It is with great pleasure, that we share her story with all of you today.


Photo by: Jesse Anderson

 

Photo by: Todd Bell

When did you get into the pinup life style ? 
I got into the lifestyle the summer before my freshman year of high school, which I believe was summer 2013. I can't believe I've been doing this for four years now! Ever since I was very little, I've had a love affair with old Hollywood films. In my early teens it blossomed into a very important part of my life, and the summer before my freshman year of high school, I decided to change my look to emulate those movie stars I so admired. 

photo by: Slavena Minshew

Who is your biggest style inspiration ?
This is probably one of the most difficult questions I could ever be asked. I think, to spare you all from reading an endless list of all the vintage actresses, celebrities, photographs, characters, etc that inspire me on the daily, I will just say that the eras themselves inspire me the most. I like looking as true to the time period as possible, personally, and to explore all the different styles within the decades I'm interested in.

photo by: Slavena Minshew

And how does it feel to be a  minority in the pinup community ? 
It makes me feel proud. To me, representation is so important. It can change lives. I know seeing representation of myself in media and otherwise has completely changed my life. (My favorite movie, CAROL, is about a lesbian relationship in the 1950's and nothing makes me happier than thinking of that film!) I hope that I can bring light to the diversity that exists within the pinup/vintage community!

Photo by: Todd Bell
 

We hope you enjoyed this week's edition of "Any one can be a pinup", Nadia is such a remarkable person and we felt honored to be able to share her story with all of you. Her courage and kindness remind us everyday, to remain true to ourselves and to fight for what we believe in regardless of what the world throws at us. There is no sadder fate than hiding who you are or pretending to be something you're not. We hope that with every post in this series, you get a a little braver yourself to be that wonderful person that you are.


If you have any comments,questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see us feature next, feel free to comment below and we'll do  our  best to reply in a timely manner.




As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 

Paola & Kirsten xx 

Aka "thehepburnmovement"

1 comment