Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?



We here at the thehepburnmovement strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance we get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup regardless of your age, sexual orientation or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and we aim to show that with every post. We want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. So without further ado, here's a new weekly addition to our blog to show case the different people that make up this amazing community. We couldn't think of a better time to kick it off then Black History Month, to not only show appreciation for the  different aspects of it but to show our support. We want to help promote a loving environment and  decided to start off by sharing the stories of those close to us and how they became a part of his community.




MO
(@missuniversalorla)


We met Mo purely by chance one night when we decided to take a detour on our way home at Disney springs, it has been the best chance encounter we've ever had by far. We bonded over our love of pinup/vintage fashion, and we have become great friends thanks to this. We've exchanged horror stories,heart ache, fashion secrets and love stories, bonded over our love of old movies and affinity to our grand mothers wardrobes. Mo constantly inspires us everyday with her big heart and kind  personality to be the very best people we can be. She is a no nonsense, innovative, fun loving, talented and incredibly sweet woman and we are lucky to call her our friend, we hope that you enjoy getting to know her as much as we have. 




Q: What got you into the pinup/vintage life style?
I got into pinup when I was 14 years old after seeing a picture of my grandmother in the Caribbean with a beautiful pleated skirt and a lace petticoat, I still look at that picture everyday. I was so in love with the fashion of the 50's , but  I never tried it because I wasn't confident about myself. It wasn't until the spring of 2016, when  I went to a event called spiffy Saturday, a version of Dapper Day at Universal  that I really decided I wanted to dress this way. I thought to myself "oh this is the opportunity for me to finally be confident to experiment with this lifestyle", after that day, I became obsessed with the pinup lifestyle.  I started experimenting slowly adding bits of pinup inspired things into my wardrobe. At Halloween Horror Nights there  was a  scare zone called vamp 55 and it was then that everything clicked in my head that I can do this lifestyle. I was hooked and never went back!


(Center Mo's Grandmother, photos of Mo by Tina Cooper Photography)

Q: Who is your biggest style inspiration?
My grandmother is my biggest style inspiration,she even taught me how to sew and I've begun to make my own outfits. She has given me the love,support and confidence I need to truly take the plunge. I dream of being able to recreate some of the beautiful outfits my grandma shows me pictures of, she has shown me what it means to truly feel beautiful and comfortable in the skin I am in. I would always watch anything 50's  related with my grandmother and my dad. She instilled this love in me of all things retro/pinup and glamorous. I still play dress up in her clothes now, but I finally feel like I  can pull it off and do it justice the way she did. I owe a lot of who I am today to my grandma.




Q: How do you feel being a POC in the pinup/vintage  community?

Being a POC I never thought  I would be able to pull off this era of fashion, because growing up I didn't see  any adequate representation. However the more I  got into it, the more I saw on Instagram so many other people of color in the community. I made a lot of friends who showed me otherwise. I got some tips from other people of color about hairstyles, make up tips, etc. it showed me how supportive the community really is,and how its for anyone and everyone. I  even got some some likes by theblackpinup, one of my biggest style icons and it gave me the confidence boost I needed to truly do this!  It showed me how inclusive and wonderful the community is and I'm so thankful to be apart of it. God bless the pinup lifestyle because it totally changed my life.



We hope that you like our new segment and maybe even find a new friend along the way! We love all of our followers, regardless of the color of your skin, gender, religious beliefs or sexual orientation! We will not let minorities be silenced, oppressed or their cultures treated like costumes, no appropriation will be tolerated or erasure of a culture.  We will be adding more inspirational people as time goes on and we appreciate all the support and love we get from this community and want to help spread that joy! Anyone can be a pinup we truly mean that and we hope this post inspires those of you who think otherwise to break out of your shell. We welcome you with open arms and want you to know that you will always belong with us, we can assure you of that!




If you have any comments,questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see us feature next, feel free to comment below and we'll do  our  best to reply in a timely manner.

As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 

Paola & Kirsten xx 

Aka "thehepburnmovement"

1 comment