My own kind of vintage



Here at the thehepburnmovement I strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance I get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup regardless of your age, sexual orientation, or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and I aim to show that with every post. I want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. This weeks pinup is...

I found Zena through the vintage community on Instagram, she was one of the first people I ever followed on my vintage journey and I'm so glad I did. When I first got into the vintage lifestyle I felt completely out of place that's one of the main reasons I created this series. I didn't see anyone who looked like me anywhere,especially not anyone who rocked their natural hair. Zena rocks her natural hair and inspires others to do the same,she doesn't try to fit into any mold or label. She is unapologetically herself while championing for equal rights, representation and inclusion for people everywhere. I'm so incredibly honored to be able to share her story with all of you today.



When did you get into the vintage life style?

 I got into the vintage lifestyle fully around middle school when I would go thrifting here and there with my mom who I got my inspiration from. My mom always loved vintage and she was a huge part of why I started dressing vintage which leads into the second question.




Who is your biggest style inspiration ?
My mom is my biggest style inspiration and where I learned to buy and appreciate vintage from. She taught me to appreciate the textiles and prints vintage had to offer but also to feel comfortable wearing them.




How does it feel to be a minority in the vintage community?
 How I feel as a minority in the vintage community is just that, a minority. The community is still very european standards of beauty centric and in my view doesn't embrace people if they do not fit that mold which is unfortunate in this age. Though I have met some amazing people within the community and have gone to many trade shows and experienced so many wonderful antique/vintage pieces.

I hope you enjoyed learning more about Zena. She is such an incredibly kind,stylish and all around inspiring soul. I am so thankful that the online vintage community brought us together. She inspires me everyday to love the skin I'm in curly hair and all. It's thanks to this series that I get to connect with incredible people from all over the world and share their story with all of you.


If you have any comments, questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see me feature next, feel free to comment below and I'll do  my  best to reply in a timely manner.


As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 


Paola xx aka "thehepburnmovement"

No comments