View from the rear window





I get asked quite often where the inspiration behind my outfits comes from and while I draw inspiration from many places,there's always one I turn to when creating any look. What's that you ask? Well it's old movies of course. There's no greater treasure trove for looks of the bygone eras,whether its a well known movie like gone with the wind or a lesser known b-rate movie.I watch them all to gain knowledge,learn styling techniques and get ideas for future outfits. That's where the idea for a new series came about,since I love old cinema so much why not try recreating some outfits? I asked for recommendations and the response was overwhelming. It seems that you folks love the fashion in old movies as much as I do.(I guess you wouldn't be here otherwise eh?). I'm incredibly excited to unveil this new series and decided to kick things off with one of my favorite looks of all time.  You know just straight recreations aren't my thing and putting your own spin on a classic look or style is what fashion is all about. So keep scrolling to see how to "Get the look" with my own twist of course.



The inspiration


There are  few looks more iconic and unforgettable for Grace Kelly than her black and white  ensemble in Rear Window. It's  arguably one of her best outfits of all time. While not my favorite film of hers,there's no denying that the wardrobe was to die for. I'd consider giving up a body part for just one outfit of hers. Much like the general public my favorite outfit of hers in this movie is this one as well. I know, I'm usually the color queen but there's something about it that is so effortlessly chic and elegant. I can't help but love it and want to capture that same aura or at least try. My favorite part about this outfit is the attention to detail from the nipped in waist to the billowing skirt,to the string of pearls and elbow length gloves it just screams elegance. 



The look





While my outfit is not nearly as elegant as Grace Kelly's due to the fact that it's a two piece instead of a dress and it wasn't designed by Edith Head herself. I still think I was able to capture the general feel of it with my own twist. Grace kelly was known for her trademark pageboy hair do, and I am known for my hats. So I decided to recreate her look with one of my iconic black hats. I kept the rest of my accessories as similar to hers as possible to still get the idea across. I definitely wasn't going for an accurate recreation but I wanted it to be recognizable nonetheless. How do you think I did?










Get the look





Outfit details: Black off the shoulder top-thrifted/ 1950's black and white floral print dress worn as a skirt-vintage/Black t-strap heels-thrifted/Jennifer petticoat-Malco modes




Accessories: 1950's black velvet platter hat-Veracious vintage co/1950's elbow length white opera gloves-vintage (ebay)/1950's pearl clip on earrings-vintage/black skinny belt-thrifted



Makeup details: Brows, Lashes & Liner: Black cake Mascara - Besame Cosmetics/ Eyes: Keep wishing Palette- Besame Cosmetics/ Cheeks: Rose delicate rogue-Besame Cosmetics/ Lips: Red hot red -Besame cosmetics




I hope you enjoyed the first post in my new series "Get the look". The thing I love most about fashion and personal style is the ability to draw inspiration from the world around you. I love the styles,silhouettes and clothes of the bygone eras but I'm a modern gal through and through.I love being able to combine old and new pieces together to create a look that's all my own. Paying homage to some of my favorite stars in this series is a way to ensure their legacy never dies while paving way for my own. Dressing up is a huge form of self expression for me,so I am always looking for fun new ways to channel that.

Thank you Erick Paul Photography for taking these amazing photos. 

If you have any comments, questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see me dress up as next, feel free to comment below and I'll do my best to reply in a timely manner.


As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 





Paola xx aka "thehepburnmovement"

1 comment