Making the cut

In the infamous words of Coco Chanel "a woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life",thats exactly what we plan to do. Change can be seen as such a negative thing but we like to look at this as a glass half full situation. We're cutting off our dead ends, shaping new styles and finding the cut that works best for us to ultimately be happier and even more stylish than before. (I mean thats a given obviously,thats what hair cuts are for). Thankfully this isn't a what not to do post as both our hair cuts  came out swimmingly but it does happen. Just incase you were one of the unlucky bunch who wanted to try a new do for the new year and it didn't quite pan out we feel for you. We've been there and done that and we'd rather not touch up on that subject our hair still shivers at the memory of them.To  middy or modern ? That is the question. For those of you who know what a middy  cut is, congrats(gold star for you ! You're at the top of your game & we sincerely applaud you) for those that don't it was the steryotypical cut of the 1950's (Bunch of slackers, but it's alright we still adore you). It's essentially a u-shaped cut with tapered layers ,where it is shorter in the front and longer in the back. Paola went with a middy cut + her trademark Betty bangs and Kirsten went with a modern cut.
We also decided to include our first day of class looks in here since we just started back up again (BOO! We're mourning the loss of our vacation time too), fear not this is actually a good thing because now we get to spend all our  time together since we're going to the same university and we only live five minutes away from one another. This is also good news for you our readers because this means more regular blog posts. We've got a whole bunch planned and can't wait to show you what this semester brings!

Kirsten- I am probably one of the laziest (getting ready wise) people I know. I am a roll out of bed and go (mostly because I sleep in and am always late). I need something that works well with my go with the flow ,low maintenance mind set.My hair length currently was a bit lifeless and shapeless and I desperately wanted to bring that life back into it that it had before .So I went with a more modern bob, one that I could easily just walk out of the house.My hair is naturally straight with a bit of wave at the ends so I needed something that would pair well with my hairs natural texture.I wanted something where I could do a Beyoncé and say "I woke up like this". It has been about 10 months since my last true hair cut, so I had a couple of split ends and such that needed to be taken care of. I ended up going with a below the chin bob with longer bangs (growing mine out).



Paola- I am pretty low maintenance myself however I like to keep my style truer to the 50s and hair was a big part of that. So I decided to finally take the plunge and get a true fifties hair cut. Due to my natural hair, curly as can be (we're taking Shirley temple but ten times longer) I didn't think the amount of layers needed for this particular style would work all too well and have shied away from it because of it. However my long hair was making it harder to do  the styles I wanted and required much more maintenance than I liked so I decided to just chance it. After all its just hair and IF I didn't fancy it at all,it would grow back eventually. Its funny to think how easily we can become attached to our hair but as I sat in that chair watching 5 inches get chopped away I couldn't help but feel a bit nostalgic.(Feeling a little melodramatic it seems).When I spun back around for the final time and saw my hair I couldn't be happier I missed my bettie bangs and the new length gave me a ton of room to play with. Its been over a year since I cut my hair so I felt not only was the cut necessary but it was a change for the better.


OUTFITS 

Kirsten - For my first day outfit (since it was chilly,we're talking 40 in Florida thats chilly weather for us) I wore my trade mark cat eye glasses ,black tights, a black circle skirt, black combat boots,vintage black belt, a cute boat neck red and white striped top, a brown faux leather jacket,vintage black bowler and a super adorable vintage cat brooch!
Details: Essential Elegance skirt - Modcloth, Brown Jacket- Ross, Combat boots -Modcloth,Brown Bag-Steve madden 




Paola-  For my first day outfit  as it was rather chilly here (A floridian by birth this cold seeps into my bones I know ,I also decided to don on my vintage gold cat eye frames ,vintage  red and white striped sweater, black gathered skirt, pleather jacket,black tights,black combats boot,black belt, and my reindeer erstwilder brooch.

Details:Black jenny skirt- Pinupgirlclothing, Black belt- Pinupgirlclothing, Cropped pleather jacket -Forever 21, Combat boots-Jc Penny,Jennifer petticoat - Malco modes, Red Petticoat Similar here - Hellbunny, Pin up girl print bag- Ebay





We hope you enjoyed this more "modern" pinup look for our first day of school and a little break down on our new dos. We look forward to showing you what we do with our new locks and how we spend this school year causing trouble (we mean going on adventures together of course) and making more memories to share with you.
 If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave something below and we'll do our best to reply and help you out.
As always thank you for reading ,

May your days be filled with pretty dresses and a lot of happiness . 

Paola & Kirsten xx 

Aka "thehepburnmovement"




1 comment

  1. Love the new haircuts! You girls look great as always!:)

    ReplyDelete