Just keep your head above



We here at the thehepburnmovement strive to show the diversity of pinup/vintage culture every chance we get, to show that ANYONE and everyone can be a pinup regardless of your age, sexual orientation or race. That despite the lack of representation in the media, we exist and are here to inspire others to step out into the spotlight. People from all kinds of nationalities and identities make up this community and we aim to show that with every post. We want to highlight the wide variety of pinup/vintage loving people

 because they come from all walks of life, and deserve to be seen. This weeks pinup is...


Jessica

Jessica is one of the most incredible women we have  the pleasure of knowing. She is such a huge inspiration to us both and we strive to be like her when we grow up. We met as always thanks to the online pinup community but it wasn't the clothes that truly brought us together. Although it did help us get to know each other, It was her take no bars attitude, her willingness to jump into battle for what she believed in no matter the consequences and her journey to achieve her dreams that truly made her  stand out from the rest. Her unwavering devotion to LGBTQ+ rights, messages of self love and body positivity for ALL and plight for Women's rights make her a perfect candidate for our series. We are so delighted to be sharing her story with all of you today and hope you enjoy it!




Photo By: Rev Maverick Photography/ Fortuna Femme


 “When did you get into the pinup lifestyle?”

Funnily enough, my journey into pinup coincides with my journey to accepting my sexuality and queerness! Six years ago I was in an unhealthy and wildly unhappy relationship when I discovered the body-positive community. Pinup lends itself really well to a curvier body (despite looking fantastic on literally every woman I’ve ever seen!), and it was a truly eye-opening experience for me that really catapulted me into discovering who I truly was. First came embracing my body, then discovering my style. Not too long after that, I unexpectedly met the girl who made that “I’m a lesbian!” light bulb go off above my head. The night I met her was the very first night I actually went out in full-pinup style, and that’s coincidentally what caught her eye. The rest, as they say, is history. Six years later, despite still having those body hang-ups that everyone has, I’m happier in myself, my style, and my skin then I’ve ever been.

“Who is your biggest style inspiration?”
Finding a style inspiration within the pinup community has been a bit of a struggle for me because queerness in the community is so underrepresented (or downright invisible)! Because so many of us present as “straight”, I’ve had a hard time truly feeling like I can relate to someone’s experiences without seeing myself and my life mirrored in theirs. That said, Lucy La Riot is a huge inspiration to me, because not only is she a badass pinup and talented photographer/businesswoman, she’s also a super stylish femme-presenting queer woman (like me!).



 Photo by: Swiger Photography

“How does it feel to be a minority in the pinup community?”

This is a tough question for me to answer, because I try to be really aware of the struggles that other women face within our community, and I sometimes feel that mine pale in comparison. I’m queer, yes. I’m an “interloper” between plus and straight sizes, yes. But I’m also straight-presenting, femme, and white. It’s hard to see myself as a minority when I have watched other women get proverbially beat down, ignored, and appropriated within the community. If we amended the question to read “how does it feel to be a queer woman in the pinup community”? I’d say it’s lonely. When I find other LGBTQ+ pinups, it’s a breath of fresh air! To me, being represented means so much more then simply seeing girls that look like me. Knowing that a woman shares similar experiences, preferences, and struggles to mine just draws me closer to the community. Her gorgeous pinup style is the icing on the cake!




Photo by: Lucy La Riot





We hope you enjoyed this weeks edition of "Any one can be a pinup", we were so honored to share Jessica's story with all of you. We aim to show the immense diversity of the pinup community with y'all through this series and Jessica was no exception. She is so unapologetically herself, kind, and inspirational, we feel lucky to call her our friend. 



If you have any comments,questions or even suggestions on who you'd like to see us feature next, feel free to comment below and we'll do  our  best to reply in a timely manner.





As always thanks for reading, may your days be filled with pretty dresses, dapper clothes & a lot of happiness. 

Paola & Kirsten xx 

Aka "thehepburnmovement"

No comments